There is no military obligation for taking introductory “basic” courses (freshman and sophomore years). Once you accept a federal scholarship or enter advanced courses (junior and senior years), you incur an obligation for officer service upon graduation. You may be guaranteed assignment to Reserve duty or compete for Active duty; the initial active duty obligation is for 3 or 4 years.
The Four-Year Program and Scholarship Opportunities
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES RIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL THROUGH US ARMY ROTC
The cost of a college education is escalating all the time. To help you meet these rising costs, Army ROTC offers two to four year scholarships, awarded strictly on merit, to the most outstanding students who apply. These scholarships pay:
- Pays 100% Tuition or Room & Board
- Monthly Subsistence Allowance ($300-$500)
- $1200.00 per year for books
Two to Four-Year Scholarships
You may be eligible for a two, three, and four-year scholarship if you are preparing to enter college as a freshman and meet the following qualifications/requirements:
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Be 17 years old before the scholarship is effective.
- Take the SAT or ACT no later than November of the year you apply
- (must have a minimum 920 SAT or composite 19 ACT) .
- Have good high school grades.
- Participate in leadership, extracurricular and athletic activities.
- (Students with part-time jobs will be given substitute credit.)
- Be under 27 years old on June 30 of the year you expect to graduate and receive your officer’s commission.
- (An age extension of up to three years may be granted to veterans who qualify.)
- Be a high school graduate or have equivalent credit.
- Pursue an Army approved academic major.
- Agree to accept a commission as either a Regular Army, Army National Guard or U.S. Army Reserve officer.
- Meet required physical standards.
Selection of winners is based on
- the results of the SAT or ACT tests,
- school officials’ evaluations,
- extracurricular, leadership and athletic activities,
- a personal interview and a Physical Aptitude Examination.
In-State Tuition Waiver (ISTW) *(Only available at UIC)
- Pays 100% tuition and 2 fees
- Must be progressing toward commissioning
- Pass or improvement on the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)
- Pass or significant improvement on Height/Weight standards
- Maintain 2.5 GPA
National Guard Scholarship Opportunities
The Illinois National Guard Grant pays tuition and eligible fees (registration, graduation, and general activity fees) at all Illinois 2- or 4-year public colleges. The applicant must be active in the Illinois National Guard and have served for at least one year. Enlisted persons currently serving and C company grade officers are eligible for the grant. The Illinois National Guard Grant is an entitlement program and is awarded to eligible recipients regardless of the funding level. A grant recipient is entitled to receive payment of tuition and eligible fees for a period equivalent to 8 semesters of full-time enrollment. This grant can be used for either undergraduate or graduate enrollment. A recipient may not be in default on any student loan, nor owe a refund on any state or federal grant. There is no minimum enrollment requirement and non-credit courses are eligible for the Illinois National Guard Grant. To apply a student must file an Illinois National Guard Grant Application annually indicating the institution they plan to attend. Eligibility in one academic year does not carry over to future years. The deadline dates for applications are October 1 – first term, March 1 – second semester, and June 15 – summer term. More detailed application requirements and the application are available online at www.collegezone.com.
GRFD Scholarship (2 or 3 year) – Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty
- Must go into Reserve component
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be between ages 17 and 27
- Have a College GPA of at least 2.5
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Score minimum 920 on the SAT or 19 on the ACT
- Meet physical standards
- Same benefits as ROTC federal scholarship
- Receive GI Bill @ $288 per month
- Receive Kicker @ $350 per month
- Receive Book Allowance @ $1200 per year
- Drill pay at E-5 pay grade ($250 per month)
- Monthly Subsistence allowance (if contracted) $350 -$500 per month
For a full list of all scholarships offered from Army ROTC please visit the official ROTC website by clicking here.